The Synergy and Science of Sales: Maximizing Earnings with Meal Replacements in Medical Weight Loss Management
— By Karol Clark, MSN, RN
Weight loss physicians are increasingly finding themselves at a crossroad when it comes to science and sales. It’s time to embrace the synergy this combination creates for you and your patients.
If you enter an extremely successful medical weight loss practice, you will likely find a wonderful combination of science and sales. Even better — it doesn’t feel like a struggle for the practitioner(s) or their team. They have a cadence — a process that seamlessly provides patients with exactly what they need to lose weight and an easy way for them to pay for the service/program/product with cash or via insurance. While every practice has ups and downs, this cadence should be more the norm than the exception.
In the highly competitive field of medical weight loss, this synergy is more important now than ever before. No longer is it enough to be experienced in obesity management, providing quality patient care, and facilitating great patient outcomes. With the many weight loss and fitness programs and products available (and promoted everywhere), your unique ability to combine science and sales helps to grow your business.
Applying Science and Sales Synergy in Your Weight Loss Practice
Applying science and sales synergy in your weight loss practice leverages your knowledge with the art of sales to create an experience that you and your team believe in and your patients desire and enjoy. Below are seven examples of such synergy contributing to your long-term business success.
1. Meal Replacements
One of the most natural applications of science and sales in any comprehensive medical weight loss practice – resulting in higher earnings and better patient outcomes – is the use of meal replacements.1,2 In fact, the combination of quality, scientifically-formulated, delicious products, and your expert diagnosis and treatment, create a recipe for success. This is particularly true if your patients understand the value of such practitioner prescribed products and how they benefit their weight loss journey.
- Product Development and Selection: It is important to select products that are scientifically-developed with optimal ingredients and a nutrient balance to promote weight loss. Of equal importance is selection of products that have appealing flavors and delicious taste. Such products are typically only available for purchase through practitioners. It is also critical to ensure that the products you promote to your patients are of the highest quality, safe to use, and include pure ingredients. Look for independent quality certifications for any nutritional company you choose to partner with. An added advantage is if the company offers other value-added services such as training, e-store purchase/fulfillment, turnkey programs, and private labeling so your practice is identifiable wherever your patients take your products. As you select your products, be sure to include your team. Taste test everything and monitor bestselling products. This is a part of your science and positively influences your seamless sales system. If you like and use the products yourself, promoting the products to your patients becomes second nature. Understanding the many scientific benefits that set your products apart from others contributes to easy sales for your team and a desire to buy for your patients.
- Physician/Practice Benefits: You can leverage the science-backed features of meal replacements to build trust with your patients while reinforcing your position as the expert when it comes to evidence-based weight management. As you know, using meal replacements also helps you provide a structured approach to your weight loss program with simplified choices while minimizing the risk of any nutritional deficiencies. Selling meal replacements also adds another complimentary revenue stream for added profitability and long-term patient engagement.
- Patient Benefits: There are many benefits for patients who utilize meal replacements while trying to lose and maintain weight. They provide better results, built-in portion control, convenience, balanced nutrition, less meal prep time, and less cost when compared to other food options.1, 2
- Seamless Sales Integration for Maximum Profitability: Incorporation of meal replacements into your medical or surgical weight loss program is critical for optimal success and easier than you may think. Simple strategies such as offering program variations that include all or some meal replacements, eye catching display of your products, incorporating the many benefits of meal replacements in patient counseling sessions, incorporating the products into recipes, bundling products, providing samples, and other strategies will lead to higher and more sustainable revenue. Of equal importance is providing an easy meal replacement sales process both in your office and online.
2. Program Development
Scientific research into your ideal patient persona (i.e. demographics, pain points, goals, desired outcomes) along with their preferences will help you create programs that attract new patients and keep those in your program satisfied and wanting more. By analyzing such data and gaining insights into their behavior, you can customize your sales strategies so they resonate and don’t feel salesy. This synergy of science and sales helps to ensure your offers align closely with what your ideal patients want most.
3. Building Trust and Credibility
Scientific research provides a solid foundation for understanding what will help your patients most. The next step is to share that information through your marketing, messaging, emails, patient education and sales efforts in an understandable way. You show up as the go-to expert and you become the voice they want to hear most. It is your way of minimizing all of the “noise” in the marketplace. You are uniquely qualified to highlight patient success, your programs, your products, and your services through the lens of outcome-based science. You can easily dispel myths and share what works and why! Such transparency instills added confidence in the choices your patients make — particularly when it comes to utilizing you and your services.
4. Patient Education
As you educate your patients — something they may not think they need — especially if their GPL-1 medications are effective on their own, science helps you understand the physiological influences on weight loss. Then, you can turn such complex topics into easy-to-understand concepts and daily behavior that bring short and long-term results. This is done through your programs as well as your social media posts, webinars, articles, blogs, emails, and any other communication method you choose to use.
5. Personalized Weight Loss
Science allows you to apply your knowledge to the unique and often complex medical history of your patients. Your personalized weight loss prescription cannot be mass produced. It ensures that your patients receive care and offers that precisely meet their unique needs resulting in better outcomes.
As with any sales communication, your current and prospective patients will have objections that you need to dispel. When what you offer is backed by science, the conversation becomes naturally persuasive turning potential skeptics into happy, satisfied, results-oriented customers.
The science of metric measurement allows you to measure the outcomes of your efforts. Metrics such as patient outcomes, revenue, profitability, marketing ROI, patient satisfaction, and referral sources provide tangible insights into the effectiveness of your strategies. This allows you to make modifications in real-time for better results.
The synergy of science and sales with regards to meal replacements and each of the aspects outlined can help practitioners effectively manage the current weight loss market and provide for sustainable growth. Embracing such concepts creates a win-win situation and the cadence of streamlined services and sales for better predictability as well.
If you are looking to integrate quality meal replacements as a complimentary revenue stream or if you want to explore an effective turnkey medical weight loss program for your practice, you can explore your options at Robard.com.